The Short Course route went 2 laps around a triangle course in the Outer Harbour off Cherry Beach. This course was set long and proved challenging as well. The short course had tough competition with TWC instructor Barb Fydell taking first place (the only woman to race both the Windsurf and SUP races) taking first place, followed by youth racers Ronnie Van Ham and Christian Anghel.
The Learn to Windsurf Course was a course raced by participants from the clubs Learn to Windsurf program. It was a single lap of the short course and had 17 people competing in it. It was great to see all these sailors come out, with a healthy mix of male and female racers as well as a large number of new youth racers. This year's winner was Adam Suban-Loewen with Jacob Mouka and Alex Laguesma in second and third.
For the second year in a row we had an award for first overall total time for both this SUP and Windsurfing races. It was incredibly close with the top three finishers all within 20 minutes of each other. In the end, Gander Tawaststjerna dethroned Ian Matthews to take first, with Ian coming in second and Ivan Dimic in third (only minutes ahead of club president Jeff Martin who had two strong finishes, ending up in fourth. - scroll down to Super Mammoth.
Of course, we couldn't have had this event without the great help of our volunteers. We have no paid staff working this event, so we're dependent on our volunteers for this to happen:
- Betty Caplan, Jane Tindall, Iris Sag, Meredith Mednick and Kathy Martin for their help with Registration and Results.
- Natalya Lavrtnenko and Erin Hawkins for helping make sure the lunch went smoothly and dealing with a hundred hungry people.
- Mike Tindall for securing and lining up the 5 safety boats and coordinating the safety boat teams on race day
- Chris Hope for setting the course buoys very early in the morning
- Renata Dajczer, our on-water photographer (see below for link to photos)
- Peter Penev, our on-water videographer
- Tony Rothschild Jeff Martin and Andree Gautier for their help throughout the process
- Silent Sports for generously donating the event shirts and great prizes to the event.
- JP, IWindsurf and Neilpryde for their contributions to the draw.
- As well as Max Robinson's Sponsors Steam Whistle, North and Bikrim Yoga Toronto for their contributions to the prize table.
- Makani Fins for their contributions to the draw prizes.
- Boat drivers and crews:
- Alan Levy & Davor Popovic
- Andy Alleway & Brooke Halpert
- Behnam Parsa & Nadia
- David Niblett & Marie Claire
- John Darling & Catherine
- Nick Cox for the event scoring/results.
- And all the others that haven't been mentioned here who helped our event run smoothly
This year, part of the lunch was catered by Raging Spoon - the 3 types of lasagna - butter chicken, beef, veggie, and the 3 types of salads - Baja, Greek, Caesar. Raging Spoon is a successful enterprise providing employment for members of our community with mental health/survivor issues. Their web site: ragingspoon.ca
Check out and like our Facebook page for lots of great pictures of the event.